Science & Technology
Snow: The White, Fluffy Killer
By Matteo Somma
Volume 1 Issue 4
January 20, 2021
Image provided by AccuWeather
On December 17th, 2020, here on Long Island we received 5 to 6 inches of snow. Naturally, as children - or even adults, we leaped outside into the snow. Whether to play or shovel, we had some type of interaction with the white fluff. But what many don’t realize is that snow is toxic and might be putting your health at risk.
Earth's temperature rises every year rise due to the burning of fossil fuels, car exhaust, nuclear waste, to name just a few. 3.3 million people die from air pollution every year alone. These toxic chemicals seep into the air, polluting our atmosphere where clouds form. The chemicals suck up the water and air in evaporation, creating toxic chemical clouds. As the clouds release rain/snow/sleet/hail, those chemicals come down into Earth's surface, being greeted by the open tongues of children.
Tons of little children every year ingest the snow from the ground, and some families even make snow ice cream. While in small doses it causes little to no harm, large consumptions and long-term exposure to snow can be deadly over time due to the numerous chemicals such as methane, gasoline, fossil fuels, and car exhaust.
Surprisingly enough, short-term exposure can also cause sickness and infection. Now you might be asking: How does snow cause infection? Well, it's very simple. We live in the suburbs where many of us don’t have much property. Chances are much of the snow on your property has been touched by a snow boot, shovel or snowplow, all of which are non-sanitary and have touched dozens of surfaces, which can lead to infection.
All in all, just keep this in mind the next time you’re looking to dine on some fresh snow. I would opt for some water or ice cream instead, which is much safer and much more delicious.